Bob Filner's direct links to SOCIALISM
Links to Democratic Socialists of America
In 1993 San Diego Democratic Socialists of America members were active in waging a campaign to convince the area Congresspeople, Lynn Schenk and Bob Filner, to co-sponsor the McDermott-Conyers bill for a single-payer health care system.
- DSA honored independent socialist Congressperson Bernie Sanders of Vermont at our last convention banquet, and we have always raised significant funds nationally for his electoral campaigns. At the same time, we were pleased to have Democratic Congressperson and Progressive Caucus member Bob Filner of San Diego introduce Sanders at the convention...
- Meanwhile, San Diego DSAers are involved in progressive Democrat Bob Filner’s 51st CD reelection race.
- We reported on the candidates that DSAers were supporting in the last issue of Democratic Left. How did they do?
- In San Diego, longtime progressive Congressman Bob Filner won handily. Third-party candidate Lawrence Rockwood got 3.3% in his protest run against a centrist. And the San Diego mayoral race got really interesting...
DSA supported Filner again in 2006.
- San Diego DSA produced an email recommendation sheet for the membership covering all races and propositions on the November ballot, a popular tradition of the local that people ask for as elections approach. Activist members there went precinct walking for Representative Bob Filner. They also worked hard for statewide Proposition 1C, a large bond issue for affordable housing, which passed.
- SD-DSA held a forum with about 20 participants on “DSA, the Left, and the Presidential Election.” They organized a fundraising event in April for City Council candidate Stephen Whitburn, which was attended by Congressman Bob Filner and raised about $1000.
Donated office to DSA phone bankers
On Saturday, August 10 1996, over 300 people attended the San Diego Hearing on Economic Insecurity, "a forum intended to hammer home to a message to our elected officials that working America is hurting and to demand that government take corrective action."
- For two hours, a panel that included Congressman Bob Filner (D), California Assemblywoman Denise Ducheny, and five candidates who may soon hold seats in Congress and the California Assembly listened while a steady stream of local people told their stories. Testimony came from workers, seniors, welfare mothers, men and women seeking work and students soon to join … "
The Hearing, involved groups such as the Gray Panthers, the ultra radical National Lawyers Guild, Welfare Warriors and labor unions, but was initiated as a project of San Diego Democratic Socialists of America.
- However the main work in organizing and publicizing the hearing was carried out by DSA members...San Diego DSA realized that an effort of this magnitude needed a full time paid organizer. We were fortunate to be able to hire Stephanie Jennings, a veteran supporter and organizer of progressive action.... Stephanie kept in close touch with Boston DSA, with Alan Charney and Michele Rossi and DSA national office, with Chris Riddiough in our Washington DC office and with Tim Parks, Eric Vega and Duane Campbell in other California chapters.
Bob Filner even donated his campaign office to DSA phone bankers, soliciting support for the event;
- Conressman Bob Filner donated the use of his campaign office for a week of nightly phone banking by DSA volunteers...
Congressman Filner signed the Pledge for Economic Justice.